Friday, January 16, 2009

My Momma and Her Gun!!

As i got older i remember us having a few shotguns that me and dad used for turkey shoots and target shooting. To this day there is just something fun about shooting a shotgun at a clay pigeon. Not to toot my own horn but I'm a pretty good shot. My mom was never into the shotguns that i remember much. She did, however, own a small revolver that i believe was my grandpas police gun. I never seen her shoot it but she always said she could. I let her tell me that and then i would just nod and smile while thinking "sure you can." Well one day i was out by our pond doing a bit of fishing when i seen a really small water moccasin swimming about ten feet off the bank. This always excited me cause it give me an excuse to shoot the shotgun. I ran as fast as i could back to the house. As i burst through the back door mom said "whats wrong?" and i replied "there's a snake in the pond i gotta shoot!!" I grabbed the shotgun and loaded it as i was headed to the back door. Just then mom turned the corner, with her little pistol in hand, right in front of me and out the back door. We get to the pond and she asked me where the snake was so she could shoot it. Trying not to bust a gut i pointed to the snake and told her to give it a whirl. As i was laughing she raised her pistol, gave aim and squeezed off a round. This is when i began to not be able to hold myself and started laughing so hard i could hardly see from the tears in my eyes. Suddenly mom says "there ya go, one dead snake." It took a sec or two for my brain to actually comprehend what i had hear. I wiped the tears from my eyes and gazed into the water. There about ten feet from the bank was the snake..........his head was about six inches from his body!! I suddenly began to choke to the taste of shoe leather i had going on in my mouth. Who would ever knew that my mom was just like a real life Wyatt Earp!!

3 comments:

  1. She sure did!! Ive learned a many a lesson like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way, I believe that is Annie Oakley not Wyatt Earp!!!! MOM

    ReplyDelete